The end of the semester is approaching and many students are beginning to feel a bit complacent. This is not a good time to let your guard down. Shake of that lazy feeling, stop sleeping in class and get your work done.
Professors will not let up on the workload as you are coming to the end of a semester, so your studying should not either. In fact, many professors seem to sense this feeling from their students and start assigning papers and projects at the same time.
The following are suggestions on how to try and find that motivation needed to study and finish the semester off with a bang.
- You know yourself best. If you are a night owl, then do your studying at night. Do not try waking up early and cram for that biology test. In contrast, if you are a morning person stick with that. Trying to do your paper at 1 a.m., it most likely will not get written.
- Eat well. Caffeine and candy just will not do. Your body will not like that; you need food to keep going. Try to include a couple of the “food groups” as you snack and stick in a well-balanced meal or two daily. Balance those nutrients so your blood sugar level stays normal.
- Stay hydrated. Make sure your system has water. If you are dehydrated, it is hard to stay focused impairing your short-term and long-term memory.
- Take breaks. The brain, like your body, needs to rest. Let some time pass between study sessions. Study your math equations on Tuesday morning, then wait until Wednesday before studying them again. If you wait too long, your brain has to work harder to recall it later, but a short break will help you retain the information better. When you are just too tired to continue, walk away and “relax.” Come back when your mind is a bit refreshed.
- Exercise. Yes, exercise. It does not have to be a full workout where you are dripping sweat, but do a little stretching or even walking. Exercising will help with your circulation and will increase oxygen to your brain. This in turn will help with your studying capability. It can be as simple as taking a walk, doing some push-ups or even practicing some dance moves.
- Limit or get rid of distractions. You know that computer or phone with Facebook, Twitter and that other entire social media can be a huge distraction. Give it up while you are studying. Focus while you study will go a long way.
- Get some sleep. Your body will need the rest. Sleep will help your learning and your memory. Avoid those all-night study sessions. Get your rest.
There are only a couple of months to go before this semester is over. Focus and all will go great. Good luck with those finals.